We have shiny new premises, please wipe your feet

Remember when your parents told you your dog got sent to a farm? This is that farm, except it's full of old monthly discussion threads.

We have shiny new premises, please wipe your feet

Postby Owen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Welcome! If you're here, you've probably come from our rather plain little redirection page to a forum that looks... well, exactly like the forum that was there before, to be honest. So what's the difference?

Some of you will know that for almost two years now, our forum has been hosted by the erstwhile Mike. Without him, this forum would probably have been stuck on cheap free hosting filled with ads for a couple of months at least after it was created. Perhaps worse things would have happened, who knows.

Tl;dr? He's a great guy and if you ever see him around I want you to buy him a beer :D

Anyways, after our recent database scare I began to feel that we needed new hosting. Mike had to do a lot of the work towards fixing it because I didn't have access to the database at a high enough level, and he had to put up with worried emails from me at all times of the day about it. I moved the database to my own shared hosting, but it was a temporary fix at best so - here we are. I hope you like it!

As with any major change or update, if you spot any problems please let me know. You can post them here or in the Suggestions Thread.

Issues I'm currently aware of: A possible issue with email notifications for board PMs? Please let me know if you notice anything amiss.

Thanks,
- Owen
:loveDSP
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Re: We have shiny new premises, please wipe your feet

Postby mikekearn » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 pm

I was so confused when I couldn't log into the site! It had me worried for a minute. I like the new digs, though. The DrMcForum address is very snazzy.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed the link to us on the actual Dr. McNinja site already points to the right place. Were you planning this for a while or are you just that efficient?
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby Owen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Dr Hastings is just that efficient. I emailed him after making the change and he very kindly switched it within the hour :D
Owen
Site Admin

Postby helios » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:37 pm

*Wipes Bat-Feet*
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
Fighting Crime and Corruption since 1935
Not Disregarding Your Freedoms Since 1949
helios
The Goddamn Batman, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Ninja

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Actually, the redirect page only said "We have moved to new premises at" with no address and did not redirect for me on Chrome 10.0.634.0 dev.

It said "We have moved to new premises at DrMcForum.com! Please update your bookmarks as this page will disappear shortly." on Firefox 3.6.13, but it never redirected.
I for one welcome our new computer overlords
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Location: Amongst the thousands upon thousands of servers that are the entity that is my savior that is Google

Postby Owen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:45 pm

I didn't write in a window redirect, I'm afraid, as I wanted people to update their bookmarks so I can remove it later. I've edited the page to say "this page will shortly be removed", and fixed the typo (missing quote marks :roll: ) which led to Chrome being picky about the url.
Owen
Site Admin

Return to The McNinja Archives (Read Only)