Comic Discussion Thread - January 2017

Talk about Dr McNinja and don't be jerks.

Re: Comic Discussion Thread - January 2017

Postby Paradoxius » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:54 am

Hang on just a dang second. Judy cannot become Vice President, as she is not a natural born American Citizen!

Final clause of the Twelfth Amendment to the US Constitution:
But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution:
No Person except a natural born Citizen... shall be eligible to the Office of President....

Consider my suspension of disbelief broken!
Paradoxius
Temple Guard

Postby Truec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:28 am

I was about to raise that same point, but then a thought occurred to me. Presidential appointments are approved by Congress, and the wording of the Constitution means whatever they say it does until somebody raises the matter in court. In the absence of Congress, Funkhauser can appoint anybody she wants.
Truec
Franz Rayner

Postby TheEndIsNigh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:16 am

skim172 wrote:Probably this moment.

Slortex wrote:http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/9p32/
Basically, Ninjas don't trust anyone, even other ninja/family. The mask is their final layer of protection, as they are masked at birth. By removing it, Doc can't risk his family knowing his face and possibly betraying him and must live in hiding.

Both valid points, thanks for reminding me!
TheEndIsNigh
Temple Guard

Postby strikinglyalert » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Truec wrote:In the absence of Congress, Funkhauser can appoint anybody she wants.

The Senate exists: you can see Judy presiding over it with her gavel in panel #1. Under the 25th Amendment, both the House and Senate need to confirm her appointment as new vice president. It's never been litigated, though, so it may be a nonjusticiable political question. Besides, there may not be an opposition party at the moment to raise a fuss, or perhaps everyone likes Judy (as well they should).
strikinglyalert
Red Cross Vampire

Postby Azureflame » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:58 pm

berlinknives wrote:I'm liking the fact both POTUS and VEEP are female, of course I'm surprised Judy was eligible for high office.
I somehow thought she wasn't American.

Judy isn't American. http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/27p14/
Azureflame
Temple Guard

Postby cybermagi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Judy you are climbing that ladder! Congratulations! Obviously the rules have been bent a bit but that's what I love about the McNinjaverse USA, tolerance and acceptance.

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/33p142/

Hortense.. who knew? Maybe you will find your Prince Charming again one day.. or maybe not.
"Yes I am a wizard, before you might ask."
cybermagi
Red Cross Vampire

Postby TimJ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:50 pm

strikinglyalert wrote:
Truec wrote:In the absence of Congress, Funkhauser can appoint anybody she wants.

The Senate exists: you can see Judy presiding over it with her gavel in panel #1. Under the 25th Amendment, both the House and Senate need to confirm her appointment as new vice president. It's never been litigated, though, so it may be a nonjusticiable political question. Besides, there may not be an opposition party at the moment to raise a fuss, or perhaps everyone likes Judy (as well they should).

It's possible that, in the McNinja Universe, their Constitution doesn't require one to be a natural born citizen.
TimJ
Temple Guard

Postby thecaddy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:07 pm

TimJ wrote:It's possible that, in the McNinja Universe, their Constitution doesn't require one to be a natural born citizen.

Nope. Same popes, same Hondas, same constitution.
thecaddy
Temple Guard

Postby Slortex » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 am

TheResult wrote:
Slortex wrote:http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/9p32/

Basically, Ninjas don't trust anyone, even other ninja/family. The mask is their final layer of protection, as they are masked at birth. By removing it, Doc can't risk his family knowing his face and possibly betraying him and must live in hiding.

Which would be a great callback and plot point if we had also seen Knickerbockers and Mondo die before this moment, but we didn't, so this feels kind of flat. There are people out there who know Doc's face, so unless he actually went out and straight-up murdered the both of them, it seems weird that he'd trust those two with knowing what his face looks like more than his family.

Well, Mondo (Mongo?) won't kill anymore, and was defeated easily by Doc at the beginning of the arc. Plus, he doesn't seem to have the intelligence to trap Doc on his own. Knickerbockers could be a legit threat, but Doc threw him out of an airplane the last time they met, and Knickerbockers said that Doc was scarier than anyone else. Without Frans, I don't think either have the motivation /ability to find Doc.
Slortex
Temple Guard

Postby TheSchaef » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Considering that, previously, the president was a time-traveler from another dimension and the vice-president was first a wizard from another dimension, then a cyborg furrenner of European descent (one assumes Denmark), Judy's about the least far afield they've gone with the executive branch in a while.
TheSchaef
Temple Guard

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McNinja